Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I'm back!

What’s renting space in your brain? One of my new clients said this in a recent appointment I had with her and I almost fell off my chair. I had to steal it from her as it totally resonated with me. So many things are “renting space” in my mind these days and I thought what a great way to get back into the swing of blogging. I had to take some time off from my blog as I found myself with too many other commitments and felt I needed a break.


For those of you who don’t know I was off for some time during the summer as my Appendix perforated and caused me to have emergency surgery. That’s a long story and I won’t get into it all here but it has been a long journey to regain my strength, endurance and stamina. The only thing I will add to that is thank god I was healthy going into that experience as I know my body had to depend on my good health through that whole process to survive. Enough said, I think you know where I’m going with this!

Some of the things “renting space” in my brain currently: How amazing the colours of the fall truly are. How much I love Christmas and thinking about my list of things to buy for my kids. How I will push myself to do Yoga 5 days a week and keep the balance in my life. How much I love my dogs...mostly Lexi, I know that's terrible to have a favourite but I.   How I had major surgery and lost 10 pounds but Rob didn’t have any surgery and lost 20+ pounds…damn those men and their bigger calorie burning muscles!!!!

We now know that good nutrition is what is key in the prevention of a slew of disease. See below a list of foods that help with the prevention of cancer. Try to incorporate them into your life daily. The biggest complaint I hear as a nutritionist is that “it is too many vegetables to eat in a day”. These foods with their rich colours and high fibre content and abundance of nutrients help in the prevention of disease. This is the most important food group and a serving is less than you think. Try to eat 7 to 10 servings a day. I eat: 1 banana, 1 cup of mixed berries (blue, black and raspberries) 1 apple and vegetables at lunch and dinner each day.

1 Serving looks like this:

Fresh, frozen or canned fruit or vegetables = ½ cup

Dark leafy greens raw = 1 cup

Cooked greens = ½ cup

Juice = ½ cup (no fibre)


Anti-cancer Foods


Fish

Flounder (sole)

Haddock

Halibut

Herring

Mackerel

Salmon

Sardines

Tuna



Fruits

Apples

Blackberry

Blueberry

Cherries

Clementines

Cranberries

Grapefruit

Lemon

Nectarines

Oranges

Peaches

Pomegranate

Raspberries

Red grapes

Strawberries



Herbs & Spices

Basil

Black pepper

Cinnamon

Flaxseed

Garlic

Ginger

Ginseng

Lavendar

Licorice root

Nutmeg

Oregano

Rosemary

Sesame seed

Tarragon

Tumeric



Legumes

Lentils

Lima beans

Soybean

Sword jackbean

Tofu (soft, firm, dried, fried), miso, natto

Mushrooms

Enoki mushrooms

King oyster mushrooms

Maitake mushrooms

Matsutake mushrooms

Oyster mushrooms

Reishi mushrooms

Shiitake mushrooms



Nuts

Cashews

Chestnut

Pine nuts

Sesame

Walnuts



Seaweed

Arame

Dulse

Kombu

Mozuku

Nori

Wakame



Shellfish

Cuttlefish

Oysters

Sea Cucumber

Shrimp and prawn

Squid and squid ink



Vegetables

Artichokes

Beets

Bok choy

Broccoli

Brussel sprouts

Cabbage (red, savoy, white)

Carrots

Cauliflower

Chard

Endives

Kale

Mustard greens

Olives and olive oil

Onions

Parsley

Parsnip

Peppers

Pumpkin

Radishes

Salsify

Scallions

Shallots

Soybean sprouts

Spinach

String beans

Sweet potatoes and yams

Thistle

Tomatoes

Turnip and their tops

Watercress

Winter squashes



Other

Dark Chocolate

Green Tea

Maple Syrup

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home